Furniture tends to stay in our homes for years at a time, but some pieces remain in households for longer than others and thus should be chosen wisely. These investment pieces may even be passed onto future generations, so why not buy what you truly want and know they will last you for years to come? Below, we detail the pieces we believe are most worthy of your investment:
- Dining Room Table: A nice, wooden dining room table can stand the test of time. Its style can easily be changed with decor, or even by recovering the fabric on the seats. We recommend a table that can seat eight or a table that has a leaf so it can be adjusted for larger gatherings.
- Leather Couch: Leather couches may not be an heirloom piece, but they can endure the wear and tear of everyday life with children and pets. If purchased in a neutral hue, they can easily change styles with pillows and throws. The clean up alone will make this a worthwhile investment.
- Beds: The mattress may only last 8 years, but your bed can last you much longer. Pillows, quilts, and even nightstands can easily switch up the style. If you buy a fabric headboard, it can even be recovered as your style evolves!
It may be July, but all of the fall merchandise is already being displayed. There are a few easy ways to take your summer pieces into fall and all the year round. With a few decor updates, your furniture can be seasonal, fresh, and appropriate!
A. Wooden dining room tables are amazing investments! Their neutrality, timelessness, and beauty is unmatched. The best part is, all you have to do is change the centerpiece to make it perfect for every season! We love candles and flowers for the spring/summer, trading out the flowers for pumpkins or gourds in the fall, and adding a little holly during the holiday season.
B. If you’re one of those people who wants their entire house to embody the season, we highly recommend neutral bedding. Natural woods, iron, or white bedroom suites are ideal for changing out decor due to their neutrality. When accompanied by neutral bedding, like whites, tans, browns, grey, or even navy, you can easily switch out the pillows for each season! What’s easier than that?
C. Brown couches may seem dark, but with yellow flowers, light pillows, and warm accessories, this look is perfect for summer and fall. You can easily change the florals to some evergreen and make this look appropriate for the winter months. Never underestimate the transitional value in a brown couch and warm decor!
Now a game room isn’t exactly an essential room in the home, but it is the most fun! If you’re making the decision to have a game room, here are a few furniture pieces you absolutely must have.
- Pub height table and chairs: There needs to be a place for people to eat and drink while others are playing, and this is the perfect style. It’s fun, practical, and makes you feel like you’re in your favorite bar.
- Entertainment Center: A game room also needs a big TV and an entertainment center to house it for when those big games come on. Whether you’re a football, hockey, or movie night fan, you need a space where you can comfortably watch every moment.
- Theatre Seating: While you’re at it, you might as well have theater seating so everyone can relax comfortably.
- No game room is complete without a game- pool, poker, arcades, basketball or what have you – so decide what works best with you. Combinations of all also work.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy a sun room, especially when it is too hot to truly enjoy the outdoors. There are some key furniture pieces every sunroom must have, though.
- A brightly colored comfortable chair: A bright chair is a great focal piece for a sunroom, but make sure it’s comfy enough to sit in and read a book or just relax. Some great colors are orange, yellow, green, or blue, but let your imagination run wild.
- A plant: This is a great area to go plant crazy. If you don’t have a green thumb, fake trees and plants look quite realistic these days and will help bring the feel of the outdoors inside.
- A side table: Make sure that beautiful chair has a side table so you have a place to sit that refreshing drink. This space should feel like your own oasis, so make sure it has the necessities.
- A fun rug: A rug is another great way to bring in bright colors or outdoorsy elements. You can even put an outdoor type rug in this room.
Have you ever noticed while watching HGTV each designer has a very distinct style, but even more so, they have their staple furniture pieces. This month, we’re detailing the must have pieces for each home design style. Which fits your home best? (PS You can shop the pictures!)
- Industrial: Metal Bar Cart
Bar carts are becoming a household staple, even if they don’t serve as a bar. They are great for decorating purposes and can hold anything from wine, to books, to momentous. Plus, doesn’t this rustic wood and black metal scream the industrial style?
2. Country Cottage: White Wooden Bed
White + Wood + Panelling = Country Cottage. It’s the kind of homey, clean feel you get at an adorable bed and breakfast.
3. Traditional: The Regal Desk
What’s more traditional looking than a stately desk? This is the kind of desk that renders greatness and needs a library of classical books to accompany it.
4. Farmhouse/Country Chic: The Farmhouse Table
Joanna Gaines popularized this large rustic table that can be paired with chairs or even a long bench. It is great for large families and more casual settings.
Designing a new room, or even an entire space, can be difficult, which is why inspiration is necessary to determine a vision and direction for any interior space. Inspiration can come from anything you find beautiful or meaningful, whether it is the outdoors, a painting, or a texture like velvet. We put together a few strategies to find your inspiration and begin the journey of designing your dream space:
- Start with what you love. Do you love hiking, the beach, the smooth feel of velvet, the rich nature of red hues? Start here and run wild. Your home doesn’t have to look like a forest because you decide you love hiking, but perhaps incorporate greenery, rich woods, and neutral colors. If you like velvet, find complement textures like smooth shiny metals and pale pinks for a feminine, romantic feel.
- Pinterest is a great place to get lost in ideas of others. Also any household magazines will have plenty inspiration.
- If you have an item you love, such as a pillow, rug, or throw, you can select items with corresponding colors, textures and pieces. One piece can build a room.
- Thinking about practicality is another great way to begin. If you have dogs and they are central to your family, your mudroom entrance could be inspired by them with hooks for leashes and keys, an outdoor mat featuring your favorite breed, and paintings of your dogs. If you love coffee, make a coffee bar and include a metal sign that resembles the aesthetic of your favorite coffee shop. Notice what you love, both hobbies and passions.
Wedding season is almost upon us, which means all the brides and grooms to-be’s are planning their registry. Though many people think of china, silverware, and pots for their registry, nowadays, the modern registry is personalized to each couple’s individual needs. If you need furniture, help paying for the honeymoon, or any fun activities, these items can still be included. We have a few furniture ideas that many couples may need as they combine spaces:
- New bedroom suite: This is a space that should reflect both of you. It is also a good time to buy new sheets, comforters, and pillows.
- Dining room table: A tiny two person table may be great for the two of you, but if you ever want to have dinner guests, a larger table is necessary. Some tables can even expand if you don’t want a larger table taking up space.
- Bar cart: Bar cart’s are fun accessories and something you can both enjoy. Whiskey glasses and wine glasses are great adornments, along with your favorite books, cocktail mixes, and pictures.
- New TV/Entertainment center: Football always looks better on a larger TV, so you might as well go ahead and register for your dream TV and entertainment center to support this new TV upgrade.
- Any missing pieces: This is honestly a great time to ask for any missing pieces. Have you always wanted a bookshelf? Do you hate your side tables? You can register for these items, or register for cash to help purchase these items. Guests want to help new couple’s complete their life together, so you might as well ask for what you truly want and need.
Coffee tables are a central element to most living rooms, but they also serve a functional purpose, especially considering the culture of your household. Below we have outlined a few common issues for people purchasing coffee tables and listed our favorite remedies.
Situation 1: If your household frequently eats while watching movies or playing games, it should be made of wood or glass and outfitted with coasters to protect it.
Situation 2: If you have a casual household where feet are up on the coffee table and arms in the air when your favorite team scores, you’ll also need to ensure it is easy to clean, durable, and preferably not
Situation 3: If you have a wooden entertainment center or other key elements, your coffee table can serve as a focal, complementary piece. Glass, a different color wood, or metal could offer a nice contrast.
Situation 4: If you have a larger family, utilize your coffee table for additional storage! There are many gorgeous pieces that can still be functional.
TV stands are a necessary, functional element for everyone’s living room, therefore, you might as well make them visually appealing. Considering all the time spend staring at the TV and how large they typically are, they tend to be a focal point for most entertaining spaces. There are multiple ways to style and personalize a TV cabinet/media stand to make it blend in with your space. From open stands with plenty of spaces for books and pictures, to closed cabinets or drawers, there are countless opportunities to utilize and beautify TV stands. Below are some of our favorite looks:
Though it doesn’t feel it, summer has concluded and the season of pumpkin everything is (almost) here. Therefore, the bright summer hues and beachy decor must be replaced with deep, rich hues and fall decor. Don’t worry though, there are a few easy fixes to make your home embody the season without buying new furniture.
1. Plum, burnt orange, peacock blue or brown pillows instantly make the place feel warm.
2. Console fireplaces also make a home feel cozy, and best of all, they can be put away during the summer months to render additional space.
3. Pumpkins, gords and candles make great centerpieces for the season.
4. Big cozy lounge chairs filled with throws and pillows are perfect for enjoying football games.
5. Bookshelves add a great decorative element and can show off family pieces. They also make great decorative elements and are another fun space to adorn with seasonal flares.