Though it doesn’t feel it, summer has concluded and the season of pumpkin everything is (almost) here. Therefore, the bright summer hues and beachy decor must be replaced with deep, rich hues and fall decor. Don’t worry though, there are a few easy fixes to make your home embody the season without buying new furniture.
1. Plum, burnt orange, peacock blue or brown pillows instantly make the place feel warm.
2. Console fireplaces also make a home feel cozy, and best of all, they can be put away during the summer months to render additional space.
3. Pumpkins, gords and candles make great centerpieces for the season.
4. Big cozy lounge chairs filled with throws and pillows are perfect for enjoying football games.
5. Bookshelves add a great decorative element and can show off family pieces. They also make great decorative elements and are another fun space to adorn with seasonal flares.
Studio apartments do not provide very much space, making every piece of furniture needing a purpose . There are a few stylistic ways to arrange and select your furniture to make the space appear larger, more functional, and still looking amazing. Below we have outlined our favorite ideas for studio apartments, or any confined space:
1. A metal bed with clean lines makes the space feel more airy than a wooden bed.
2. A couch with an ottoman provides additional seating, as the ottoman allows for storage and can be used as a seat.
3. Use a tall dresser instead of an elongated one since the height will add dimension and draw your eyes up.
4. A square kitchen table fits nicely into corners and takes up less space than a circle one.
Selecting the correct mattress for your sleep needs is very important, as this is a major purchase and a good mattress lasts on average 7-10 years. Therefore, make sure you choose one that you like! Below are a few steps to ensure you find the best mattress for your needs.
1. Before you start looking at mattresses, determine your budget and personal needs. Do you want a certain size? Do you need a bed that adjusts or moves? Have you woken up with aches and pains from your previous mattress? Think about the most comfortable mattress you have ever slept on, whether at a hotel or friends house, and recall what made the mattress so comfortable.
2. Try out the mattress! You may feel silly, but remember this is an purchase. You don’t want to get home and realize you hate the mattress. Make sure to get in the position you normally sleep in so you can determine if it is truly comfortable for you. Sitting on the end is a lot different from lying down.
3. Evaluate each mattresses comfort level with your partner so you can make sure you are both on the same page.
Remember, mattresses will lose a degree of firmness overtime. Therefore, sometimes buying a mattress topper and firmer mattress can ensure your satisfaction longer.
Living rooms are an entertainment space where family and friends gather to watch TV, play games or merely enjoy each other’s company. Because they are such meeting spaces, they need ample space to place snacks, drinks and stretch out. The following living room furniture pieces will help your home be more comfortable for guests, and avoid having to use the floor.
1. End tables: End tables can be decorative as well as useful. They should be placed at the end of couches and next to other chairs as a place to set drinks, food and decorative elements.
2. Coffee tables: Not only do coffee tables serve as a place for drinks. Since they are larger, you can set games out on them, use as a foot rest (depending on household rules), and set snacks out for all to enjoy.
3. Ottoman: An ottoman is generally more of a foot rest that can occasionally have storage inside. They can also be turned into a game table, but should not be a place for drinks since they are not flat, hard surfaces.
Do you have young children that share a room? These rooms can feel cramped if space is not properly utilized. Not to mention, children tend to want their own space as they get older. Here are some ways to save on space and maximize storage and usability.
Built in shelving:
Larger families have more: more stuff, people and needs. Therefore, they require more storage capacity and seating. We have compiled a list of furniture pieces that are essential for larger families or those who host frequent guests. Furniture that provides additional space and/or has dual purposes is ideal. Every piece should be functional, not just aesthetic. These furniture pieces will make your life so much easier:
1. L shaped sofa for additional seating
2. Ottoman for comfort and storage
3. Entertainment center with drawers
4. Farmhouse table with bench for more seating
Kitchen space and design, coupled with familial needs tend to dictate the best kitchen nook dining set for a family. Sometimes though, the options become overwhelming, so we broke down which styles and designs are best for various situations.
1. The Round Table: The round table works for various situations and spaces. First off, it is easier to add more seats around a circle table without guests being put in a corner. This makes it nice for family’s with frequent guests or children away at college. They can easily feel have their seat back, or it can be more spacious during times of less people. This is also great for rooms without a clear division of space as it is more open and inviting than a closed-off shape like a rectangular table.
2. The Farmhouse Table: These tables are gorgeous and normally have a bench on one side with chairs on the other side. This is the perfect option for larger families since it offers more space. However, it also does take up more space, so it is not the best option for smaller kitchens.
3. The Square: This is a more classic, compact option. It is good for those with 4 or less usual guests and minimal spacing. With the chairs tucked in, it can fit nicely in a corner and make the room appear more spacious.
Are you searching for a new bed? There are many different styles, materials and colors to consider, but this month, we are discussing the different styles of beds.
1. Iron/metal beds: These are normally black, silver, or can be painted. They also have different designs with curls, straight lines, or more intricate details. This is a nice option for a variety of style rooms as the design changes the style. It can be industrial, feminine or farmhouse.
2. Fabric: Fabric headboards are almost like padded boards with a slipcover. They come in a wide variety of colors and can also have different shapes, though not as intricate as the iron/metal beds. This option is not as durable as the fabric is subject to normal wear and tare, but it can be quite beautiful and inviting.
3. Sleigh beds: These beds look just like their name: a sleigh. There is a curvature to the back, which makes them appear larger and more grand. Because of this curvature though, it is not the best option for smaller spaces as the back of the bed will take up more room.
4. Canopy: These beds can be very romantic and also come in a variety of styles and wood or metal finishes. It is a great statement place, but can highlight low ceilings making the space feel more tight.
Furniture is made out of different woods with unique characters, coloration and durability. Here is a list and description of the most common types of wood used for furniture:
- Cedar is a soft wood normally used for closets and chests as its scent repels insects. There is a soft red coloration with knots and streaks.
- Cherry is one of the most expensive hardwoods, which is why it is commonly used for cabinets and fine accent tables. The grain and coloration is very distinct for its red hue.
- Hickory: This is a furniture stable, known for its strength. It is commonly used for rockers and chairs.
- Mahogany is one of the most expensive woods due to its rich coloration and distinct grain. It is one of the furniture favorites.
- Oak has prominent streaks and comes in red and white varieties. It is valued for its strength, which is why it is common in furniture and has a moderate price
Are you looking to purchase your first home this New Year? Here is a list of furniture essentials to build your home:
- Start off with purchasing a nice bed or complete bedroom suite if you’re looking to splurge. Your bedroom is a place of relaxation, so it should be the first room you tackle to make your home feel complete.
- You don’t need to start off buying a huge dining room set, but a place to eat, such as a breakfast table, is necessary, especially if you plan on having guests. Eating picnic style on your floor will get old.
- A couch/ living room seating is also another necessity. The side tables, coffee tables and entertainment center add comfort, but a couch or ample seating is nice to sit, watch TV or merely enjoy the company of family and friends.
- If you work from home, a desk may be a necessity to have a proper workstation. For those who do not work from home, this can wait.